Whats the purpose? The purpose of cleansing is to remove bacteria, makeup, dirt, sweat and oil that build up on your face throughout the day. You should cleanse at least once a day. Ideally, to ensure healthy skin that is blemish free, cleansing morning and night is needed.
Choosing the right cleanser: The familiarity of the different types of cleansers will allow you to choose the right one for your skin type. Ingredients you should look for are: Wheat germ and Glycerin. Wheat germ oil cleans your skin without stripping your skin of its natural oils. Glycerin attracts moisture to the skin surface which allows healthy hydrated skin.
- Soap- We are not talking about hand soap here. Cleansing soap will leave your skin feeling deeply clean and throughly cleansed. But, some face soaps are bad for the skin; leaving them stripped of its natural oils and dry. Look for soaps with glycerin for moisture. Soap washes is the best for oily skin types.
- Gel cleansers- Gel cleansers tend to be the ones that foam the most during use. Gel cleansers are formulated to dissolve oil and fight blemishes. Best for oily to combination skin types.
- Cream cleansers- Cream cleansers are usually water based. They typically have oils and emollients combined with cleansing ingredients. Best for normal to dry skin types.
- Oil cleansers- A type of cream cleansers that is designed for the driest of skins.
- Balm cleansers- Moisturizing and conditioning cleanser that ensures moisture back into your skin. Great for the colder months if you have normal- combination skin. Can use on all skin types except oily skin.
- Exfoliating Cleansers- This type of cleanser usually involves a lot more ingredients than the cleansers mention above. Ingredients like alpha hydroxy acids also known as AHAs, glycolic acid, and salicylic acid. Exfoliating are used to 2-3 times a week to encourage cell turnover and remove dead skin cells. Exfoliating cleansers are suitable for all skin types.
If you need help picking a cleanser for your skin type or don’t know your skin type, please contact me!