Dr. Francesca Fusco, M.D., dermatologist states that “Acne is multi-factorial; many things in our daily life can contribute to it”. Sure, its easy to say you’re breaking out because its that time of the month or you forgot to wash your makeup off one day. But actually, there are many other obvious reasons that you are breaking out.
- Pillowcases- When you sleep at night your body produces oil, especially on your face. All this oil and dirt transfers onto the pillow overnight even though it isn’t invisible. It is also very important to wash your sheets every week. If you are in college it may be hard to lug your heavy sheets down to the dorm basement but, if you can washing your pillowcases is extremely important for your health and eliminating pimples.
- Makeup brushes- Common mistakes girls make is not frequently washing their make up brushes. You should wash every brush you use in your daily routine, once a week. The best formula for disinfecting makeup brushes is Dawn blue dishwashing soap and olive oil. Mix them together and wash your brushes with your new and inexpensive DYI conditioning and antibacterial brush cleanser!
- Stress- Stress is a very common reason for most people to break out. It is important to take time out of your hectic schedules and relax. Stress has a huge impact on your skin, not only does it cause breakouts but it could potentially create pre-mature aging.
- Cell phones- Studies have shown that your cell phone has more germs than a public bathroom (GROSS). Cleaning your cell phone with an antibacterial wipe will eliminate breakouts on your face; specifically in places like your chin and around the mouth.
- Workout gear- Exercising is great for your complexion but if your equipment isn’t cleaned properly afterwards, it creates bacteria that is transferred to your body the next time you workout. Make sure to wipe off your yoga mats, weights, and handles on exercising equipment after every workout to ensure a healthy body and to be pimple free!